Pages

Welcome to Rescue Beagle USA.

This blog is dedicated to Lucky, my sweet little girl who passed away in her sleep peacefully on 12-14-12. Lucky was a lemon beagle and came to us as a "rescue" when she was about 3-years old. While she was initially scared, the poor thing was all of 20-lbs (and for her size that was severely under weight) with lots of love and snacks she became the best friend a person could ever have - please give a rescue beagle a second change!

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Fostering a Dog

I read this post on FB and wanted to share it here. With so many dogs in need rescue groups are always looking for foster families. Please consider becoming a foster family!

By Sandy Ross

Several people have asked me lately about fostering. The most frequent comment that I hear is how they could never do that, it would be too hard to give the animal up. I think that knowing the animal died because it didn't have a foster home is far more difficult than giving up a foster pet to a good home. Most rescue groups that I know, pretty much the one thing that is always in shortest supply is foster homes. I certainly don't have a ton of time or space or money. What I do have is lots of love, and that's what these animals need. Some love, some food, and a safe place to stay.

If you are looking at fostering for the first time, I have a few things to share:

1-Yes, it's hard to say goodbye. But I'd rather wish them bon voyage than RIP.

2-The crate is your friend.

3-Feed foster animal separately from your own animals.

4-Most dogs do best with an opposite sex buddy. If you have a female, foster a male.

5-There is always a great shortage of foster homes for animals that need to be the only pet.

6-Give the foster animal at least 2 weeks to settle at your home. Be patient. Very patient.

7-Post lots of pictures! I want to see!!

No comments:

Post a Comment