Pages

Welcome to Rescue Beagle USA.

This blog is dedicated to Lucky, my sweet little girl who passed away in her sleep peacefully on 12-14-12. Lucky was a lemon beagle and came to us as a "rescue" when she was about 3-years old. While she was initially scared, the poor thing was all of 20-lbs (and for her size that was severely under weight) with lots of love and snacks she became the best friend a person could ever have - please give a rescue beagle a second change!

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Beagle Adoption Advice

I love beagles, they are my breed of choice BUT they are not for everyone . . . so if you are thinking about adopting a beagle here are a few insights to keep in mind.

  • Beagles love to bark and howl, so if you live in an apartment they may not be the best breed suited for you.
  • Beagles love to sniff, so when they "catch a sent" they want to follow, they are gone .  .  . so, having an escape proof fenced in yard is  a great way to avoid heartbreak. I see so many lost or missing beagles and it's heartbreaking. They either escape from the backyard or slip their collar. Which brings me to my next tip.
  • Instead of using a collar, use a solid vest - and I'm not talking about a vest with straps. I'm talking about a "solid" NOT flimsy vest (see photo below). 
  • Even thought the breed is considered a medium-sized dog, they still require lots of exercise. So be prepared to take them for long walks, even if you have an escape proof fenced in yard.
  • And let's forget to love 'em and hug 'em as often as possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment